Tuesday, June 5, 2012

On Avatar Sequels

Out of extreme excitement and mental exhaustion, I'm about to do something I've rarely done before.
I'm going to curse on the internet. Alot.
Please bare with me.

If you came on here thinking this was going to be about Avatar the blue people movie, you're about to be very disappointed.

Eh, same difference.

This is about the friggin awesome Nickelodean anime series that made my life worth living in the fucked up years of middle school. (Actually, that's a lie, but the time from 5:00pm to 5:30pm on Tuesdays was pretty nice). As a budding preteen nerd, Avatar: The Last Airbender was the best thing that had ever graced humanity as far as I was concerned. Like, ever. If you haven't had the complete and utter pleasure of viewing the four season long masterpiece, here's a recap.

 Water, Earth, Fire, Air

There's a fucking boy in there.


Adventure time!

My feet have eyes!

Fuck you brother.

Oh it's on.


Daddy doesn't love me.

Yay, I'm the favorite child.

Raaaaaggggeeeee

Fuck.

And they lived happily ever after.

Okay, so, there's obviously way more to it than that, but that'll have to do for now. Basically, the bald guy is Avatar Aang, who controls all four elements, and he goes on to save the world and then marries Katara, who can control water. And people loved this concept so freaking much, that after it ended (to the tearful dismay of my younger self), they decided to make a sequel.


A sequel that kicks major ass.

Feminism Bitches

The Legend of Korra takes place decades in the future after Aang has passed on. The new Avatar, Korra, is out to master air as her fourth and final element and does so under the watchful eye of Aang's son, Tenzin, in the supposedly utopian Republic City. As the series progresses however, it is pretty damn obvious that things are far from perfect.

I watch you in your sleep

There's a movement lead by king creeper above to capture all benders (people who control an element) and "purify" them of their powers to supposedly "equalize" the playing field for nonbenders.

Well, gosh, that sounds familiar.

So it's up to Korra, Tenzin, the chief of police, and some eye candy

Hey there... I like your scarf.

Most adorable flex ever.

 
I cause love triangles.

to bring Republic City back to peace and solve these growing tensions.

Oh, and did I mention this is all in a Steampunk/Gilded Age motif with Jazz in the background, choppy old movie intros, just a hint of victorian style, and oodles of noodles of industrialization?

Well I did now.

And with only eight episodes up so far, I suggest you catch up now while you still can. Trust me, you won't be sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, I was really worried that you were going to be bitching about the new series and saying it was bad and I was going to have to hate you forever. It's good that that's not the case. But what about Bolin!? This post is seriously lacking in adorable Bolins.

    ReplyDelete